Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Where I come from...

You often hear the tail of a small town girl moving to the big city to make all her dreams come true.

My story is pretty much the opposite of that, but then I always tend to do things ass backwards.

Yesterday, the former mayor of Detroit, Kwamee Kilpatrick (who is one sleazy mofo), received the final verdict in his corruption hearing.  I live for public tirals and political drama!  When the reports first came out about Kwamee's shenanigans a few years ago I was obsessed.  The news that he was found guilty made me a lil' homesick for my old corrupt city, so I thought I would tell you all a little about my former home.  Here is an article about my boy Kwamee...it is pretty interesting stuff if you want your faith in politicians to be further destroyed.


I grew up in the suburbs of Detroit.  It was a great place to live, I have about three zillion amazing friends there and my family who is way cooler than any other family...sometimes I want to move back and never leave again.


I have wanted to move to a big city for as long as I can remember.  Detroit while I am told was once a thriving place, is now more like the anti-city, you can actually buy a house there for about $2,000 because no one wants to live in the city limits...you heard me right $2,000.  Sure the suburbs are nice, but downtown is in pretty sad shape.  Don't get me wrong, I love it for what it is.  Some of my favorite bars in the world are in Detroit.  There are some incredible museums and it has tons of character.  Detroit offers festivals in the summer (amazing ones at that), a great art and music scene, and a really diverse culture.  What it also has is a lot of abandoned buildings, no public transportation, and a very small actual downtown area where you can safely walk around, oh yeah and a lot of crime.  It does not have the same energy some cities do on a day to day basis.  Sure when a baseball game or some other event is going on or the city is alive, but on your average evening it is not really so lively.




Detroit is a place that is fun to visit but not one I want to live in.  I rented an apartment in the city at one point and only stayed 4 months.  It was just not for me.  I chose to live in Ferndale, a small city outside of Detroit which is pretty awesome.  I loved living there, it had a walkable downtown, lots of bars and restaurants, cute shops, and all that crap...but it is small.  I want to live somewhere with a zillion bars and action on every corner.  So naturally I moved to a rural ass town in Maryland.

It is a stepping stone though, I got a job offer I could not pass up for my resume's sake, and am hoping to be in a city sooner than later.  In the mean time I miss Detroit like I never thought I would. 


1 comment:

Stephanie said...

I've actually never been to Detroit. Other places in MI, but never actual Detroit.
I'm obsessed with Hard Core Pawn though...